Thursday, May 15, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Wednesday, May 14th, 2008

After what felt like an eternity in the hospital, we finally got to come home. In reality we were only there for three days, but when all you want to do is be at home, it feels like forever. The ride home from Winnipeg has never felt so long but the end result was worth the wait. Linden would finally be at home where he belonged and the nursery that has been waiting for him since January would finally have an occupant.

So the first day home was pretty mellow. My parent's came for a bit, Garrett's sister and his parent's came for a bit but no one stayed long and by 8:00 the three of us were just hanging out watching tv.

You always hear the horror stories of people and their first nights at home with baby. Well, I've got to tell you, I didn't find it that rough. Yes I had to get up every two and a half hours to feed and change Linden, but I knew that going in. The first night went by and then it was morning of day two. Or maybe it should be day one, since today is the first full day of having Linden at home. Garrett had to go to work for the day so it was just me and Linden. In between feedings and while he was sleeping I would either putter and tidy up or sort laundry for Garrett to do when he got home, or I would just chillax on the couch and watch TV.

Garrett came home for lunch and while he was there I got him to feed Linden while I went and had a shower. There is something about the effects of hot water that can make EVERYTHING better. We had some lunch and Garrett headed back to work. Come to think of it, I don't think he ever said goodbye to me, just Linden. The Public Health Nurse stopped by this afternoon and we talked about how things were going and she checked Linden over. His lungs have totally cleared of any leftover mucus from birth, his legs are slowly straightening out (they were a little scrunched up from being breach) and he is gaining about an ounce a day. He was 7 pounds 10 ounces when we left the hospital and he's now 7 pounds 11 ounces.

The highlight of the day was when Garrett's sister stopped by for a visit. Linden needed to have his diaper changed so I was able to convince Tanya to give it a try. She was doing really good until she saw what was in the diaper and then she bailed faster than you could ever imagine. I laughed. It really truly made my day.

And now, the evening is upon us. Garrett and Linden are watching the Stanley Cup playoffs. Well, Garrett is watching the game, Linden is sleeping and I am taking advantage of this time to reconnect with the world through the internet. Only 72 new emails to read, luckily most of them were junk. But as I sit here and type I realize that it is time again for Linden to eat. Time sure does fly when you're having fun.

No comments: