Monday, July 14, 2008

A Reunion of sorts......

but not really........


When I was growing up and in high school, I had a really close group of friends. I mean a couple of the girls and I went as far back as going to daycare together. We were the group of friends that did everything together, on any given night we could be found at Chicken Chef having coffee or all having a sleepover at someones house on the weekends. But, as time went on, as it has an annoying habit of doing, and we all grew up, we all seemed to go out different ways. Yes we'd talk on the phone occassionally, always with the intentions of getting together more, or talking more, but again, the road is paved with good intentions. In the past five years or so the only time we really all get together is when one of our friends is getting married. This past weekend was no exception.


Our friend Kristen was having her wedding reception this weekend. Note, it wasn't her wedding, but just the reception. One must know something about Kristen before I can continue. Every since we were young girls, Kristen always did things her own way, she never felt she had to conform, so why should her wedding be any different. They had a small, and I mean small, family only small, wedding in the spring, then the Bridal shower at the end of April, the social at the end of May and then the reception in July. It was totally Kristen and it was still beautiful and she looked absolutely gorgeous in her dress.


So being that Kristen was pretty much the last of our "circle" to get married, everyone made the effort to be there. And really, it was very much like a high school reunion, and like high school, somethings (and people) just never change. To make a long story (and night) short, it was wonderful to get together with the girls (and the guys too I guess, but mostly the girls) and visit and catch up and drink like we were 18 again. At this point I must mention that I really couldn't drink then either. There were alot of good pictures taken, but of course the batteries in my camera died and I didn't bring replacements, so I only managed to get a couple of pictures taken, so I'll have to wait for the girls to email them to me.
What else can I say? We were friends then and we're friends now. No matter what the distance, or the number of times we talk or get together in a year, I know that these girls and our friendships have shaped us into the people we are today. And for that, I wouldn't change any of them for the world. Well.... maybe just one or two..... just kidding.
I found this quote and it sums up our friendships so perfectly that I felt I needed to share it:
The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. ~Elisabeth Foley

No comments: